HOO boy.
First of all, let me start by saying that I, M, am a renovataholic. There, I said it. And admitting it is the first step.
Wait... I'm not interested in RECOVERY! I just want you to point me to all the cool stuff out there that I can COPY! Sheesh!
Like the furniture we've been redoing lately. I saw at least four cool china hutches in various stages of renovation online, and took parts from each of them to decide how to do mine. And I have big plans for it, folks. Big plans. We're off to Lowe's this morning as soon as I get my lazy bum in the shower and quit drinking coffee and writing in my blog. (If I write in my blog about showering, is it the same as doing it? Does that count??)
But I have to admit... my greatest fantasy is the new house B and I have been promising each other for the last year. We're patiently waiting for all his legal stuff to clear, so we can shop in earnest. It's going to be a blast. Every day there are more and more houses up for sale. It's like jumping into the ball court at McDonald's. I feel like I could just roll around in them. More, more! Ahahahahahaha...
No disrespect to those folks in bankruptcy and foreclosure. I've been there. It's a life changing, gut wrenching thing. And it's hasn't been long enough ago that it doesn't hurt anymore. So I don't really want to think on that much. But after a lot of cleanup and a lot of hard work, my life's finally come around to a point where I can start to think about having something of my own. God knows I've spent enough money, time and love on this little rental. It's time to branch out.
So, I don't know if everyone else does this or if I'm just the weird neighborhood-stalker gal, but I like to go out for drives in nicer neighborhoods than mine on the weekends and steal things.
Wait... wait. Don't call the cops yet. I'm talking ideas. Concepts. Designs. Porch details. Paint color combinations. Landscape ideas. Home layouts. Decor. Do you get my drift?
I'm an unabashed stealer of stuff. I can't look at a thing without thinking "I bet I could make that. And BETTER." If I'm not doing something with my hands, tearing something apart, rebuilding, renovating, upgrading... I'm going crazy.
So, I found this site. I guess there's more people out there like me. Go figure! Check out this link. I am somewhat of an imposter for being there, because these people do it so much better than I. If you click on all their links, you can take a virtual tour of many, many unique and beautiful homes, and be inspired, as I have been.
http://hookedonhouses.net/2008/10/23/hooked-on-house-tours-the-fall-party-starts-here/
___________________________________________________
And for a little bit of our own casa:
We got into this rental in 2003. It had a raggedy front and back yard with scads of crabgrass and weeds, no foundation plantings to speak of except a couple of those wretched pom pom shaped junipers, and absolutely no character. You could drive down the cul de sac and immediately peg it as the only rental on the block.
First of all, let me start by saying that I, M, am a renovataholic. There, I said it. And admitting it is the first step.
Wait... I'm not interested in RECOVERY! I just want you to point me to all the cool stuff out there that I can COPY! Sheesh!
Like the furniture we've been redoing lately. I saw at least four cool china hutches in various stages of renovation online, and took parts from each of them to decide how to do mine. And I have big plans for it, folks. Big plans. We're off to Lowe's this morning as soon as I get my lazy bum in the shower and quit drinking coffee and writing in my blog. (If I write in my blog about showering, is it the same as doing it? Does that count??)
But I have to admit... my greatest fantasy is the new house B and I have been promising each other for the last year. We're patiently waiting for all his legal stuff to clear, so we can shop in earnest. It's going to be a blast. Every day there are more and more houses up for sale. It's like jumping into the ball court at McDonald's. I feel like I could just roll around in them. More, more! Ahahahahahaha...
No disrespect to those folks in bankruptcy and foreclosure. I've been there. It's a life changing, gut wrenching thing. And it's hasn't been long enough ago that it doesn't hurt anymore. So I don't really want to think on that much. But after a lot of cleanup and a lot of hard work, my life's finally come around to a point where I can start to think about having something of my own. God knows I've spent enough money, time and love on this little rental. It's time to branch out.
So, I don't know if everyone else does this or if I'm just the weird neighborhood-stalker gal, but I like to go out for drives in nicer neighborhoods than mine on the weekends and steal things.
Wait... wait. Don't call the cops yet. I'm talking ideas. Concepts. Designs. Porch details. Paint color combinations. Landscape ideas. Home layouts. Decor. Do you get my drift?
I'm an unabashed stealer of stuff. I can't look at a thing without thinking "I bet I could make that. And BETTER." If I'm not doing something with my hands, tearing something apart, rebuilding, renovating, upgrading... I'm going crazy.
So, I found this site. I guess there's more people out there like me. Go figure! Check out this link. I am somewhat of an imposter for being there, because these people do it so much better than I. If you click on all their links, you can take a virtual tour of many, many unique and beautiful homes, and be inspired, as I have been.
http://hookedonhouses.net/2008/10/23/hooked-on-house-tours-the-fall-party-starts-here/
___________________________________________________
And for a little bit of our own casa:
We got into this rental in 2003. It had a raggedy front and back yard with scads of crabgrass and weeds, no foundation plantings to speak of except a couple of those wretched pom pom shaped junipers, and absolutely no character. You could drive down the cul de sac and immediately peg it as the only rental on the block.

But we put a lot of love and care into it. I built a brick signpost, two flowerbed edgers, a walkway, a pond, an arbor, a wood fence, etc etc. The little house just doesn't look the same. Even the landlord was impressed. It will be hard to move away.
Cause you know what? With two teenagers here full time and fifty more or so that cycle through on a regular basis, House Beautiful isn't going to come do a feature on my home. But that's okay.
Because it's home. And every day I find more ways to make it beautiful. Thanks to all the wonderful people who inspire me. You don't even know who you are, but thanks anyway.

No comments:
Post a Comment