Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The resident genius

B IS BETTER.

That sentiment alone is worth all caps.

Last night we went on a Red Cross call. House fire. 8 residents. Bad situation, no injuries. Not quite ready to talk about it yet. B took me out to dinner afterward to calm me down. For some reason I've been terribly scattered.

But, I think I've figured out what I want to ultimately do with the china hutch. I'm settled on putting the beadboard on the backside of it. But I found some really cool filigree patterns online today, and am thinking about putting some medallions on the blank sides, and/or possibly the front bottom doors that B is building for me. Not sure yet what design. I'm also planning on trying to put crown molding around the top. After it's done, you won't even know it was a crappy little piece that no one wanted, left to sit out in the rain and rot. It'll be PURRRRRRRRRRRRTY.

Last night after we got home and I was decompressing over a load of laundry, B holed up out in the garage with the dremel tool. Every time I came out he hid something from me. "Go away!"

"Alright, alright..." I laughed. "I'll come back when you're done."

He was out there awfully late. I finished some chores and came back out to find him around 10:30. And there, drying on a piece of newspaper, was a work of art. We finished the sewing machine cabinet but there was a wooden knob missing on the middle drawer. And wouldn't you know it: there wasn't a match to be had, either at Home Depot or Lowe's. What we eventually found were wooden knobs that were slightly larger and flatter than the little round ball ones that were on there originally. We bought two, figuring we could bring them home and file them down to something remotely resembling the other two. After all, they were only .97 cents.

Lo and behold, my beautiful man, my Michelangelo, my spectacularly gifted beloved husband had taken the dremel tool and carved an intricate little design in the face of the knob: trees, a flowing hill, fields. It doesn't match the other knobs, but it will complement them. It will OUTSHINE them. It's beautiful.

This man never ceases to amaze me.

(I know... it was really hard to take a photo of the knob, which was sitting on a tissue, without reflection. He had just finished putting a coat of polyurethane on it, so it was glossy. But you get the idea.) Aren't those little trees just CUTE?

No comments:

Post a Comment