But, as promised, more in-progress pics of the hutch. Cause two months down the road, I will have forgotten what a HUGE PAIN IN THE PATUSCHKA this project was, and attempt to do another. Oh, by the way, did I mention that I could have bought a brand new china hutch with what we've so graciously donated to Lowe's?
Well, we are progressing with the project, as you can see. The frame has been painted light mint green, there's a new white beadboard panel on the back, a new piece of footer trim on the bottom to replace the rotted foot panel that was there, new legs, and new trim on both the top and the sides of the front.The sides are masked off for painting with that funny purple tape. The top rail runs around the front and sides, and it's hard to see in the pic. I painted the top and bottom rail of the trim mint green, and the spindles tealy dark green for accent. That was B's idea. It was harder than it sounded.

If you enlarge the picture, or look close, the spindles have a little ball in the center of each one. I brushed that with gold paint in kind of an antiquing pattern. This color pattern will continue down the sides that I've masked off. The side trim has a rope trim in the center flanked by two ribbon trims to the outside. The ribbons will be mint, leaving the centers the dark/gold combination. I think it'll look nice.
B is in the process of building the new doors for the bottom, and the drawer is still waiting for its base coat. We had a nice surprise. We went to Lowe's to replace the icky drawer pulls, but because they were inset, we couldn't find a thing that would fill the great gaping holes they'd leave behind. So, B bought a wire wheel, and decided to clean them up, since we figured we'd be stuck with them a while longer. Happily, once they were cleaned, they ended up being just the perfect shade of bright gold that we were looking for! They are going to match the other knobs just fine. What serendipity!
I was amazed at B. He worked like a bee all weekend long on the project, and didn't flag. Either his meds were perfectly calibrated or, as he said, he was just having a good time and was feeling good. I asked him several times if he wanted to quit, but he said he's happier feeling like he's doing something productive and substantial, and I couldn't argue with that.
Actually, I think it's a good thing. The more active we are, the longer he'll be active. And it was a lot of fun working together. Even if I hit myself with the hammer four times. And he threatened to take it away from me and put me in a padded suit.
So I'm uncoordinated. :-D
No comments:
Post a Comment