Friday, May 23, 2008

Should have taken the day off

UGGGG. Today is my day to be the 'handicapped one'. lol

A few years back I had my gallbladder out, and I sure don't miss it! But what came after sure isn't much fun either. As best as my doctor and I can pinpoint it, it's called post-cholecystectomy syndrome. Google it if you want to know, I'm not here to share the gory details. Suffice to say that this morning's yogurt was a BAAAD idea, and I sit here feeling like a wet dishrag.

B has come into my office three times this morning, looking more and more concerned. Finally he calls to tell me he thinks I should go home. I think I'll survive, but for awhile there it was debatable. Still, it's nice to know that he knows, and that he cares.

For a long time I was afraid to tell him what my problem was. Why I didn't want to go out to dinner (too many fatty foods on the menu, and too much stress), why I didn't like long road trips (too much time in between meals, and who knows where the bathrooms are along the way?), and how come I spent so much time in the bathroom. Thank God B is the blessed understanding soul that he is, and as an added bonus, he's also had the surgery too, so he's familiar with the issues. He, however, doesn't have so much trouble. He's got me trying all sorts of things, fiber pills, etc., and thinks he can fix me. lol

When he gets down on himself about an 'off day' when he's fatigued and slow, I remind him that it's no big deal. We will alter our routines to fit...just like we alter our routes to make sure when we eat out we go straight home. Our favorite saying is "It is what it is...no big deal".

I can't tell you how nice it is to be with someone who takes life this way .... laid back, rolling with the waves, not getting too excited. It's not flatness of affect... it's the way he's wired. We talked about what we want to do with this long weekend, and I think we've just about agreed to stay home and just veg. Work out in the garden a bit, putter around, maybe go shopping. (That's funny too.. and charming. He's as into shopping as a woman. It seems to give him pleasure. Sure is nice to have found a shopping companion!) He still loves to go out and weedeat and mow the lawns, and though this used to be my job, I stand back and cheerlead his wonderful exacting work. Our lawn is now the nicest one on our cul de sac, thanks to him.

I have a million and one things to do today, and twiddling my thumbs here is frustrating me. *sigh*

1 comment:

Mary said...

My goodness - it's almost as if you are actually in me head typing on your own blog what I am thinking! We seem to have so much in commom.

You can check out my husbands blog - Shaky's World too. I've linked to it from mine.

Please email me! I'd like to ask you a few things . . . .

Post a Comment