Monday, December 15, 2008

Good mornings

GOOD morning, world!

I heard a funny little song on the radio this morning as we listened like hawks to see if school was going to be closed for a snow day (actually a wind-chill day.... it's -20 here today with the wind chill). I've been sitting here searching for it but I can't find it. Shame.. I would have liked to share it.

Anyhow... I'm sorry I've been gone so long. Things have been just sweeping along these days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as they so often do. And there's been our share of ups and downs. We had a semi-major spill event here at work that involved a report to the state agency and a whole lot of legwork on my part for the better part of last week. My uncle passed away unexpectedly during that same time, and that was somewhat of a shock. And B got sick on Thursday evening and is still feeling crummy. We thought it was a garden variety bug, or maybe somebody's buffet item from the office Christmas party that had sat out on the counter maybe a little too long, but on Saturday we went to the hospital because he'd gotten so dehydrated and weak. I'm glad to report that he's feeling better, but he still can't eat much, and it's been hard.

While he was up there in the ER, he (unfortunately) got the student nurse, who received the duty of starting his IV. I watched her fish around in there for what seemed like an hour, pushing it in, pulling it out, rolling it around, while he laid there with his eyes closed. All the while she was talking to herself under her breath. "Oops... maybe this way. Nope, not there. A little more maybe..." I finally turned my head because it was nauseating me. Finally she got it in, but couldn't get any blood back. Despite that, she went through the whole process of taping it down and setting it up like it was a perfect job. I was pretty certain it wasn't it the vein. When she started the drip she was surprised to see that it wasn't moving. "It might work better if you took the tourniquet off" he said between his teeth. She took it off and disappeared. I think we ruined her whole day. I was glad he said something because I was just about to the point where my patience with someone who was obviously still learning was overcome by the fact that she was causing him pain. Ugggg. Another nurse came in afterward and fixed it, but it still put more of a damper on the experience than was already there.

B was different this time. He was miserable, and I think that its dawning on him that sometimes even when you're miserable and no one can do anything about it, the simplicity of having someone who cares about you be there with you is a good thing. He was there for four to five hours while they gave him several liters of fluid, and although they gave him something for the pain so he could sleep, each time I got up to stretch my legs he awoke, wondering where I was.

The first night he was sick he didn't want me to catch the bug, so I slept in my daughter's room (while she was gone) at his request. I was surprised at how hard it was on both of us. While it was nice to sleep with my dogs again (the whippet curled up behind my knees as I slept on my side, and the weenie - bless her funny little soul - nosed her way up between my forearms, curled up on HER side, and laid her head on the pillow next to mine! lol B would have had a fit.), I missed my husband beside me. The next night, I told him I didn't care about his germs, and we spent a restless night since he was up and down, but he had a hand or a foot on my body at all times, even when we slept. I rolled over once and felt him reach out in his sleep, his searching hand finding my shoulder. That he claims to be (and is, to be true) a big, strong independent man is in no way diminished by the fact that we as human beings need each other. These are small lessons, but in so many ways so much more profound. We sleep so much better when we are together, and we each draw strength from one another.

So, on to more exciting subjects! Christmas is coming, and the tree is getting ridiculously crowded. I made many of our gifts this year, and began shopping earlier for others, so it looks like we have a whole lot. I think everyone will be happy. :-) B, the original Grinch, even burned me a CD with 72 minutes worth of Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music, so I could have my beloved music with me wherever I go.

***LOL*** Status Update ***
He's dug out his "Bah, humbug" button and pinned it on his shirt. He says if he hears ONE MORE RENDITION of Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer downstairs he's gonna go postal. That's my baby.

And on that note, I have several things I need to get done, so I'll wind down for now. All is well in Washington. We'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment