Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The womanly arts

FALL'S here, boys and girls! Bringing back to school, which means.... Homecoming Ball!

The girl's fit to be tied. Her best friend (recipient of pink castle cake of the previous post) didn't have a date, so my daughter talked her little brother (um... shall I say YOUNGER brother. As he points out, at 6'1", he's got 9" on her) into taking her. It was all fun and games when she was cooking up ways for my son to ask her friend to the dance, but now that it's a done deal... shall we say she's having second thoughts? :-)

Maybe it was the night that her friend came over while she wasn't home.... to ask her brother for help with her homework. And stayed for three hours. LOL

I think it's hilarious. My son, as worldly as he'd like to think he is at the precious age of 14 1/2, is still oblivious about some things regarding the fairer sex. After they'd hammered at the homework for two hours and she was still saying things like "Umm... I still don't understand. Can you show me again?" he was getting irritated. He said "I'm not going to do your homework FOR you..."

Later in the kitchen as we were rustling around for an evening snack, I said "Did you *really* think she was here for homework help??" He just looked at me, and I watched the lightbulb slowly glow. Left a little bit o' blush as it did, too. ;-)

And his sister says "Ugh, GROSS!!" But she's driving them in to meet me after work today to go pick out a shirt, some slacks and a tie. What fun! My baby is growing up....
____________________________________________

We had good news yesterday at the doctor's appointments. The girl saw the neuro, who she'd been seeing about migraines. She's been having a lot of trouble with tachycardia, and I think it's from the desipramine that she's been taking for her headaches. The neuro was going to blow me off, but then I showed him the log we'd been keeping... she's been waking up in the morning with a 140 heart rate! Definitely not normal. So he had to acknowledge that maybe it was the drug, and we'll be slowly discontinuing it to see what happens.

The boy went for his yearly checkup at the dermatologist. He is a 'mole kid' and has a lot of them all over his body. We'd been monitoring them for melanoma, but the good news is there hasn't been significant change in a year and a half, so we don't have to go back unless there's a change. Yay!

B saw his neuro yesterday too. Coincidentally, it's the same guy my daughter sees. He's mostly let B run his own treatment plan for the Parkinson's without a whole lot of interference. B goes back every six months to get an evaluation and a new batch of scrips, but other than that, it's pretty low maintenance. He did get some good news. The neuro feels like he's had very little progression in the 10 years since his diagnosis. He's been on meds for 8 of those, and the dosage hasn't increased significantly. Plus, the doc said that the fact that he has very few episodes of dyskinesia is encouraging. B gets very quiet when we talk about those. I think that's what he fears the worst. But it will be okay. We will get through those too.
______________________________________________________

The girl and I picked up some fabric while we were out of town. She is very into rockabilly style, so we picked up some very cool fabric and some retro patterns. We're going to make a couple of dresses this fall. This is the dress she found online, and wants me to copy:


It's very simple, actually. I think it'll be fun. I bought some polka dot fabric for her, and some print for me, and I think now's the time for her to learn the womanly art of sewing!

Speaking of womanly arts, with a rockabilly skirt and a cute pair of high heels, a woman could rule the world. ;-)

Hmmmmmmmm......

2 comments:

Mary said...

Don't we alredy rule the world? Heee Heee!!! ;)

One Life said...

Heck yeah! LOL

Post a Comment